Implantology is a discipline that involves both periodontics and prosthodontics.
The principles of this discipline are the result of a protocol established through decades of research and trials.
A dental implant or fixture is a metal post made of alloplastic materials to replace the root of the tooth.
Causes of tooth loss:
- Periodontal disease
- Occlusal dysfunction (which results eventually in a fracture)
- Single-tooth gaps with intact adjacent teeth
- Partially edentulous cases
- Fully edentulous cases
- A high success rate (above 97% for 10 years)
- A decreased risk of caries and endodontic problems of adjacent teeth
- Maintenance of bone in the edentulous site (1)
- Gupta R, Gupta N, Weber KK. Dental Implants.